TheVerge-Feeds

  • The PlayStation Classic has already been hacked to run games off a USB drive
    by Nick Statt on December 10, 2018 at 10:33 pm

    Sony’s PlayStation Classic has a lot of issues that extend well beyond its debatably lackluster bundled game list. For one, the device, which has been out for about one week, is not really all that secure, which is generally a good thing when it comes to plug-and-play devices not designed to connect to the internet. That’s because those crafty and dedicated enough to hack the little gray box can then open up all sorts of possibilities, and in fact, some have already figured out how to load other games not originally included with the device from a USB drive. As reported by Ars Technica, Sony didn’t do a whole lot to hide the tools necessary to basically crack the PS Classic wide open. So some notable console hackers, including Yifan Lu... Continue reading […]

  • 8BitDo’s wireless adapter is the best way to use a GameCube controller with a Switch
    by Chaim Gartenberg on December 10, 2018 at 10:18 pm

    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who play Super Smash Bros. games as a competitive sport and those who enjoy them as party games meant to be played with friends. If you’re the first type, then you definitely care about things like lag and frame rates, and this post will read as blasphemy to you. But if you’re the second, and you’re looking for a way to make using a 17-year-old controller a little more enjoyable while playing Super Smash Bros. Ultimate on your Switch in 2018, you probably want 8BitDo’s GBros. adapter. What is it? Announced last month ahead of the launch of Ultimate, the GBros. is a pretty simple adapter that features a GameCube controller input on one end and a Wii controller plug on the other (for use... Continue reading […]

  • PewDiePie gives shout out to hateful, anti-Semitic YouTube channel
    by Julia Alexander on December 10, 2018 at 9:43 pm

    Felix “PewDiePie” Kjellberg has found himself embattled in a new controversy after recommending an anti-Semitic video channel. In Kjellberg’s most recent edition of “Pew News,” a semi-satirical series where Kjellberg offers his own take on news events or YouTube cultural discussions, he dedicates the last portion of the video to shouting out smaller YouTube creators he enjoys watching. One of those creators is E;R (otherwise known as “EsemicolonR”), an essayist who often includes anti-Semitic, sexist, homophobic, and cruel language in his videos. “You also have E;R, who does great video essays,” Kjellberg says in the video. “He did one on Death Note, which I really, really enjoyed.” Kjellberg’s E;R shoutout didn’t go unnoticed by those... Continue reading […]

  • Apple Bordeaux store vandalized and robbed during French ‘yellow vest’ riots
    by Dani Deahl on December 10, 2018 at 9:12 pm

    The Apple store in Bordeaux, France, was robbed and damaged on Saturday night by “yellow vest” protesters during mass street riots, as reported by ABC News. This is the third week the gilets jaunes (yellow vests) have taken to the streets of Paris, as part of a mobilization which began as a reaction against a hike in the country’s gasoline tax. The tax was recently dropped, but protests have continued as the movement has now shifted to encompass frustrations over pensions, minimum wage, and more. ABC says around 125,000 people took part in Saturday night’s protest throughout France. In Bordeaux, rioters smashed the Apple store’s windows and rushed inside to grab product off the tables. Several videos have been shared on Twitter, showing... Continue reading […]

  • YouTube bans Proud Boys founder Gavin McInnes for copyright infringement
    by Shannon Liao on December 10, 2018 at 8:47 pm

    Alt-right commentator and Proud Boys founder Gavin McInnes is now banned from YouTube for “multiple third-party claims of copyright infringement,” according to the company. At the time of the ban, McInnes, who also co-founded Vice Media in 1994 prior to his involvement with numerous nationalist causes, had over 200,000 subscribers. It is not clear which videos on McInnes’ channel led to the ban, but YouTube confirmed that the channel had exceeded the threshold for copyright strikes, leading to a “repeat offender” ban. In November, the FBI labeled the Proud Boys an extremist group only for an agent to later clarify that the label was the result of a misunderstanding. (The FBI still considers the Proud Boys to have links to white... Continue reading […]

  • Xiaomi is bringing three more products to the US, and none of them are phones
    by Shannon Liao on December 10, 2018 at 7:37 pm

    Xiaomi has three new products coming to the US — and, unfortunately, none of them are phones. The Mi Wireless Charging Pad, Mi Home Security Camera, and Mi Robot Builder Rover were all announced at a Friday pop-up event in New York City, where fans of the brand gathered to enjoy free tea drinks and check out the new devices. The three new products follow Xiaomi’s trend of offering an eclectic variety of smart home devices including plugs, chargers, and TV boxes, instead of bringing its phones over to the US. Photo by Dan Seifert / The Verge The Mi Wireless Charging Pad supports Qi wireless charging and up to 10W of output for fast charging. It works with most wireless-charging smartphones and has protection against... Continue reading […]

  • Instagram is bringing voice messaging to your DMs
    by Dami Lee on December 10, 2018 at 7:20 pm

    Instagram has added a voice messaging feature to its Direct messages. The feature allows users to send each other audio messages up to one minute long in private and group chats. The update is rolling out now for iOS and Android. Users with the feature can record messages by holding down the microphone button. It’ll send automatically when you release the button, so if you don’t feel confident about sending it or want to re-record, you can slide your finger over to the trash can button to delete it. Instagram’s a little late to the game with bringing voice messages to DMs, as its parent company Facebook has had a voice messaging feature in its Messenger platform for years. Voice messages are quickly becoming the preferred... Continue reading […]

  • How Searching star John Cho became convinced computer screen movies weren’t just gimmicks
    by Bryan Bishop on December 10, 2018 at 7:00 pm

    When the horror flick Unfriended came out in 2015, it seemed more like a stunt than a legitimate movie. The entire movie took place on a computer screen, with audiences watching from a first-person point of view as a user navigated from Facebook to Spotify and back again, all while chatting on a group Skype call. The movie serves up a modern take on I Know What You Did Last Summer, as a group of friends are picked off by a righteously angry former victim. But against all odds, the movie was actually entertaining and compelling, and it was followed by more “screen movies,” as producer Timur Bekmambetov called them at the time. But neither Unfriended nor its dour 2018 sequel could have prepared audiences for Aneesh Chaganty’s Searching,... Continue reading […]

  • New Godzilla: King of the Monsters trailer showcases humongous monster showdown
    by Julia Alexander on December 10, 2018 at 6:35 pm

    Godzilla: King of the Monsters is gearing up to be a voracious showdown between some of cinema’s most infamous monsters, and a new trailer for the film demonstrates just how those fights will shape up. The new trailer’s focus is on the impending battle between good kaiju and bad ones. King Ghidorah, the three-headed beast; giant insect Mothra; and Rodan, another peculiar-looking flying monster, are all prepared to launch attacks on each other. Look, Gareth Edwards’ 2014 Godzilla wasn’t exactly a cinematic masterpiece, but if Godzilla: King of the Monsters is just two hours of big monsters fighting each other, which is what this trailer promises, then I’ll be happy. Godzilla: King of the Monsters is a direct follow-up to 2014’s G... Continue reading […]

  • Voyager 2 enters interstellar space, where only one spacecraft has gone before
    by Mary Beth Griggs on December 10, 2018 at 5:59 pm

    For only the second time in history, a human-made object has entered interstellar space. On Monday, NASA announced that the Voyager 2 spacecraft had passed into a region of space where it is being bombarded by high-energy particles from outside our Solar System. This indicates that it has passed beyond the heliosphere — a bubble of magnetic fields and plasma that surrounds the Sun. “For me this is an extremely exciting time for the history of space exploration,” Georgia Denolfo, a NASA astrophysicist, said in a press conference today. “We’re able to look at the galaxy through the clouded lens of our heliosphere, and now we can take a step outside with Voyager.” “this is an extremely exciting time for the history of space exploration.” I... Continue reading […]

Please follow and like us: